Purpose: Faculty members from Peking University Health Science Center, who are collaborating with the USC Chan Division to develop the details of the China Initiative curriculum and program, traveled from Beijing to Philadelphia to attend the American Occupational Therapy Association’s annual conference. The delegation experienced the energy and passion on display at this premier conference while learning more about occupational therapy as it is practiced, taught and researched in the United States.
- Professor Mouwang Zhou, Chair of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Peking University Third Hospital
- Professor Ninghua Wang, Chair of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Peking University First Hospital
- Dr. Yanyan Yang, Associate Professor in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Peking University Third Hospital
- Dr. Cui Wang, Attending Physician in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Peking University First Hospital
- Ms. Qiaoyun Zhang, Physical Therapist in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Peking University Third Hospital
- Ms. Yifang Li, Physical Therapist in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Peking University First Hospital
Purpose: In Yantai, the team presented at the “Fourth National Congress of Rehabilitation Education of the Chinese Association of Rehabilitation Medicine.” Carey Sokol and OTD Resident Lily Xu presented on OT fieldwork models in the US, while Adley Chan and OTD Resident Sherry Chen gave a presentation titled, “Occupational Science: Informing Occupational Therapy Practice.” OTD Residents Lily Xu and Sherry Chen also gave presentations at the conference’s Student Forum, respectively titled, “Occupational Therapy: Living life to it’s fullest” and “Post Professsional Master’s Program in OT at USC.”
In Shanghai, the team attended and presented at the “10th Pan-Pacific Conference on Rehabilitation.” Sook-Lei Liew presented on “Enigma Stroke Recovery: Using big data neuroimaging to predict motor recovery after stroke.” Kristin Nxumalo and Whitney Pike presented on “Occupational Therapy’s Distinct Role in Heart Failure Management.”
At both conferences, the teams engaged in networking and nurtured existing relationships in China.
Delegation: In Yantai: Carey Sokol, Adley Chan, Sherry Chen Xiao Yu, and Lily Xu Ruiying. In Shanghai: Julie McLaughlin Gray, Sook-Lei Liew, Kristin Nxumalo, Whitney Pike, Adley Chan, Sherry Chen Xiaoyu, and Lily Xu Ruiying.
Purpose: Joined by Dean Avishai Sadan of the Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC, the China Initiative delegation reinforced relationships with potential partner universities.
Delegation: Dean Avishai Sadan, USC Chan Division faculty members Florence Clark, Julie McLaughlin Gray and Adley Chan, and China Initiative OTD residents Chia-Hsin Liu and Victoria Wong
Purpose: Deepening our understanding of the perceptions surrounding occupational therapy.
Delegation: USC Chan Division faculty members Florence Clark, Adley Chan and Daniel Park, and OTD residents Chia-Hsin Liu and Victoria Wong