Educator Fieldwork Resources
Resources for Developing or Enhancing a Fieldwork Program from the American Occupational Therapy Association (+show)(-hide)
To digitally fill a PDF form, download the file and save to a destination on your local computer PRIOR to filling the form fields. To electronically sign, click “SIGN” within the Adobe Reader toolbar, then click “Place Signature” on the right-hand toolbar and follow the instructions. Please ensure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader and please view the PDF using Adobe Reader rather than using a web browser.
- Essential Guide to Occupational Therapy Fieldwork Education: Resources for Educators and Practitioners (2nd ed.) (D. M. Costa, Ed., 2004)
- AOTA Fieldwork Educators Certificate Workshop
General Fieldwork Experiences & Tips
- Herzberg, G. L. (1994). The successful fieldwork student: Supervisor perceptions. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 48, 817-823.
- Kramer, P. & Stern, K. (1995). Approaches to improving student performance on fieldwork. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 49, 156-159.
- Mickan, S. (1995). Students preparation for pediatric fieldwork. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 58, 239-243.
- Vogel, K. A., Grice, K. O., Hill, S., & Moody, J. (2004). Supervisor and student expectations of level II fieldwork. Occupational Therapy in Health Care, 18, 5-19. doi:10.1300/J003v18n01_02
- Napier, B. (2011). Occupational therapy fieldwork survival guide: A student planner (2nd ed.). Bethesda, MD: AOTA Press.
- Sladyk, K. (2002). The successful occupational therapy fieldwork student. Thorofare, NJ: Slack, Inc.
- Fischer, K. (2006, March 6). Professional behaviors as a foundation for fieldwork. OT Practice, 11, 10; 12. Link
- Coster, W., & Schwartz, L. (2004). Facilitating transfer of evidence-based practice into practice. Education Special Interest Section Quarterly, 14(2), 1-3.
- Crist, P. A. (1995, April 24). Students, it takes more than clinical skills to succeed. Advance for Occupational Therapists, 5.
- Kramer, P. (1993). Questions (but no answers) about clinical reasoning and student supervision. Education Special Interest Section Newsletter, 4, 6.
- Neistadt, M. E. (1996). Teaching strategies for the development of clinical reasoning. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 50, 676-684. doi:10.5014/ajot.50.8.676
- Rogers, J. C. (1982). Teaching clinical reasoning for practice in geriatrics. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 1, 29-37. doi:10.1080/J148V01N03_02
- Schwartz, K. B. (1991). Clinical reasoning and new ideas on intelligence: Implications for teaching and learning. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 45, 1033-1037. doi:10.5014/ajot.45.11.1033
- Stube, J. E., & Jedlicka, J. S. (2007). The acquisition and integration of evidence-based practice concepts by occupational therapy students. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 53-61. doi:10.5014/ajot.61.1.53
- Costa, D. (2008, November 3). Fieldwork tutorial. OT Practice, 11, 11;24. Link
- Everly, J. S., Poff, D. W., Lamport, N., Hamant, C., & Alvey, G. (1994). Perceived stressors and coping strategies of occupational therapy students. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 48, 1022-1028. doi:10.5014/ajot.48.11.1022
- Gutman, S. A., McCreedy, P., & Heisler, P. (1998). Student level II fieldwork failure: Strategies for intervention. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 52, 143-149. doi:10.5014/ajot.52.2.143
- Kyler-Hutchison, P. (1994, October 13). Fear of Failure. OT Week, 256-257.
- Mitchell, M. M., & Kampfe, C. M. (1990). Coping strategies used by occupational therapy students during fieldwork: An exploratory study. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 44, 543-550. doi:10.5014/ajot.44.6.543
Resources for Transitioning from Fieldwork to Worker
- Crowe, M. J., & Mackenzie, L. (2002). The influence of fieldwork on the preferred future practice areas of final year occupational therapy students. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 49, 25-36. doi:10.1046/j.0045-0766.2001.00276.x
- Evenson, M. E. (2014). Fieldwork and professional entry. In B. A. B. Schell, G. Gillen, & M. E. Scaffa (Eds.), Willard & Spackman’s occupational therapy (12th ed.) (pp. 974-988). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Evenson, M. E. (2009). Fieldwork: The transition from student to professional. In E. B. Crepeau, E. S. Cohn, & B. A. B. Schell (Eds.), Willard & Spackman’s occupational therapy (11th ed.) (pp. 252-261). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Mulholland, S., & Derdall, M. (2004). Exploring what employers seek when hiring occupational therapists. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71, 223-229. doi:10.1177/000841740407100407
- Tryssenaar, J., & Perkins, J. (2001). From student to therapist: Exploring the first year of practice. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 55, 19-27. doi:10.5014/ajot.55.1.19
Other Articles (AOTA Membership Required to Access)
- Hanson, D. (2013, August 26). Promoting student learning during level II fieldwork: What works? OT Practice, 18, 20-21. Link
- Petrozelle, D. R., & Iscrupe, R. (2013, July 22). Framework for fieldwork: Making the most of student–educator collaboration. OT Practice, 18, 16-20. Link
- DeIuliis, E. D. (2013, July 8). Answering questions about level I fieldwork. OT Practice, 18, 8-9. Link
- Johnson, C. R., & Fulmino, J. (2013, May 6). Preparing students for ethical practice, part two. OT Practice, 18, 7-8. Link
Please get in touch if you’d like to request information about becoming a fieldwork educator for the USC Chan division.