HIPAA Training Instructions
On April 14, 2003, a new law, entitled the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) came into effect. This law pertains to protection of health information relating to the health of an individual, the care provided or payment for care. HIPAA includes classroom case-related activities and clinical experiences (including observations, research, fieldwork, residencies, etc.) where you would have access to an individual’s health information.
In accordance with this law, all USC occupational science and occupational therapy students need to complete the University HIPAA Compliance Education module and have documentation of HIPAA competence.
There are three options for accessing the HIPAA training:
- Access through a hardwired computer on campus. All campus computers are secure, so you should be able to log in and complete the training.
- If you are using a wireless device while on campus, you must use the USC Secure Wireless network to access the training. Use your USC NetID username and password to connect to USC Secure Wireless when prompted.
- If you want to complete the training from an off-campus location, you will first have to be running USC’s VPN software. Instructions are available from USC ITS at itservices.usc.edu/vpn
The USC HIPAA Compliance Education module is accessible on the web. Simply go to HIPAA Compliance Training.
- If you are using your own computer, be sure it meets the system specifications. Disable any pop-up window blockers that may be running on your computer.
- Click on “Continue to HIPAA Education Program” at the bottom of that page.
- Follow the instructions for login and password setup.
- There are 8 learning modules to review. Each module has a quiz to take following your review. When you have completed all modules and passed all quizzes, print a Certificate of Completion.
This certificate is often needed for site visits in other classes during both years of your program.
Your fieldwork site may ask you to show proof of competency.
You can log into the USC HIPAA Compliance training website at a later time to print additional copies. You must remember your ID and password to do this.