Prerequisites for Fieldwork
There are several prerequisite requirements that all entry-level USC OT students need to fulfill prior to doing any level of fieldwork. As an entry-level OT student at USC, you are required to complete the following:
- Fieldwork Student Profile.
- Student Health Clearance to ensure current compliance for required immunizations and health history.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA) certification.
- Learning Style Inventory. See “Index of Learning Styles Questionnaire.”
- Release of Information/Statement of Responsibility.
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training — scheduled through the division.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification by the American Heart Association is required while you are in the program. The course students need to take is Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (commonly called “BLS for Healthcare Providers”). The certificate is valid for 2 years. All incoming students will be required to take this class in September of their first year. The cost to attend is currently $40. You will be notified of the time and date through the Division’s email listservs.
You may be required by your fieldwork site to complete additional site-specific requirements. Please do not complete these UNLESS you are informed by the fieldwork team or the site to complete them. Site-specific requirements may include one or all of the following:
- Live Scan Fingerprinting. Fingerprinting can be completed through Live Scan fingerprinting services.
- Background check and/or drug testing. Unless your site specifies a vendor, USC OT recommends CertifiedBackground.com. Ask your site first if they will accept CertifiedBackground.com.
- Go to CertifiedBackground.com.
- In the “Place Order” box, enter the package code for the tests you are ordering:
- Students needing BOTH Background Check and Drug Test: enter code UA64
- Students needing ONLY Background Check: enter code UA64BC
- Students needing ONLY Drug Test: enter code UA64DT
- Click “Go.”
- Follow the prompts to complete the order. Once your order is submitted, you will receive a password via email to view your results. The results will be available in approximately 48-72 hours.
- Site-specific application.
- Site-specific orientation.
- Site-specific HIPAA training.
- LA County Fire Safety Training.
- Mask fit testing.