Student Fieldwork Resources
There are several prerequisite requirements that all entry-level USC OT students need to fulfill prior to doing any level of fieldwork. As an entry-level OT student at USC, you are required to complete the following:
- Fieldwork Student Profile.
- Student Health Clearance to ensure current compliance for required immunizations and health history.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA) certification.
- Complete the University HIPAA Compliance Education module and have documentation of HIPAA competence.
- Access the HIPAA Online Education Program.
- Learning Style Inventory. See Index of Learning Styles Questionnaire.
- Release of Information/Statement of Responsibility.
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training — scheduled through the division.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification by the American Heart Association is required while you are in the program. The course students need to take is Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (commonly called “BLS for Healthcare Providers”). The certificate is valid for 2 years. All incoming students will be required to take this class in September of their first year. The cost to attend is currently $40. You will be notified of the time and date through the Division’s email listservs.
You may be required by your fieldwork site to complete additional site-specific requirements. Please do not complete these UNLESS you are informed by the fieldwork team or the site to complete them. Site-specific requirements may include one or all of the following:
- Live Scan Fingerprinting. Fingerprinting can be completed through Live Scan fingerprinting services.
- Background check and/or drug testing. Unless your site specifies a vendor, USC OT recommends CastleBranch.com. Ask your site first if they will accept CastleBranch.com.
- Go to CastleBranch.
- Click on Place Order.
- In the package code box, enter the package code for the tests you are ordering:
- Students needing BOTH Background Check and Drug Test: enter code UA64
- Students needing ONLY Background Check: enter code UA64BC
- Students needing ONLY Drug Test: enter code UA64DT
- Click “Submit.”
- Follow the prompts to complete the order. Once your order is submitted, you will receive a password via email to view your results. The results will be available in approximately 48-72 hours.
- Site-specific application.
- Site-specific orientation.
- Site-specific HIPAA training.
- LA County Fire Safety Training.
- Mask fit testing.
On April 14, 2003, a new law, entitled the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) came into effect. This law pertains to protection of health information relating to the health of an individual, the care provided or payment for care. HIPAA includes classroom case-related activities and clinical experiences (including observations, research, fieldwork, residencies, etc.) where you would have access to an individual’s health information.
In accordance with this law, all USC occupational science and occupational therapy students need to complete the University HIPAA Compliance Education module and have documentation of HIPAA competence.
There are three options for accessing the HIPAA training:
- Access through a hardwired computer on campus. All campus computers are secure, so you should be able to log in and complete the training.
- If you are using a wireless device while on campus, you must use the USC Secure Wireless network to access the training. Use your USC NetID username and password to connect to USC Secure Wireless when prompted.
- If you want to complete the training from an off-campus location, you will first have to be running USC’s VPN software. Instructions are available from USC ITS at itservices.usc.edu/vpn
The USC HIPAA Compliance Education module is accessible on the web. Simply go to HIPAA Compliance Training.
- If you are using your own computer, be sure it meets the system specifications. Disable any pop-up window blockers that may be running on your computer.
- Click on “Continue to HIPAA Education Program” at the bottom of that page.
- Follow the instructions for login and password setup.
- There are 8 learning modules to review. Each module has a quiz to take following your review. When you have completed all modules and passed all quizzes, print a Certificate of Completion.
Your fieldwork site may ask you to show proof of competency.
You can log into the USC HIPAA Compliance training website at a later time to print additional copies (you must remember your USC ID and password to do so).
Level I and Level II Fieldwork Sites
You can use our Fieldwork Site Search tool (login required) to search for Level I and Level II fieldwork sites according to various criteria, such as their name, location, and the sort of work they do.
To digitally fill a PDF form, download the file and save to a destination on your local computer PRIOR to filling the form fields. To electronically sign, click “SIGN” within the Adobe Reader toolbar, then click “Place Signature” on the right-hand toolbar and follow the instructions. Please ensure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader and please view the PDF using Adobe Reader rather than using a web browser.
Level I Fieldwork
- Level I Fieldwork Professional Development MIDTERM (PDF)
- Level I Fieldwork Professional Development FINAL (PDF)
Level II Fieldwork
- Out-of-State/Area Student Request (PDF)
- Student’s Responsibilities During (Level II) Fieldwork (PDF)
- Level II Fieldwork Supervision Guidelines (PDF)
- Level II Fieldwork Four-Week Evaluation (PDF)
- Student Evaluation of the Fieldwork Experience (Level II) (PDF)