Life Management Series | Introduction to Lifestyle Redesign®
This distance-learning/online course (6 hours) provides you with the skills and methodology of the Lifestyle Redesign® approach to address chronic diseases that either result from or impact lifestyle choices. Learn about the increasing need for lifestyle interventions in chronic conditions management, the history of Lifestyle Redesign®, and the occupational therapy skills needed to use this approach. This course is the baseline for the entire series, where you will learn how the Lifestyle Redesign® process works, gain skills and tools to implement in your practice, and understand the documentation and billing issues involved in this practice area.
The Introduction to Lifestyle Redesign® course is a prerequisite to the other courses in the Life Management Series, and must be completed first.
- Recognize the critical need for increased prevention and wellness services to address the most prominent health issues of the 21st century and how the Lifestyle Redesign® approach addresses this societal need;
- Summarize the history of wellness and prevention in Occupational Therapy and the ways that the Lifestyle Redesign® approach is currently being used and can be used in the future;
- Identify when a client is or is not appropriate for the Lifestyle Redesign® approach;
- Describe the steps of the Lifestyle Redesign® process and be able to create and implement treatment plans using this approach across settings;
- Demonstrate practical uses for the Lifestyle Redesign® treatment approach in various settings through case studies including the following chronic diseases: obesity, diabetes, chronic pain, chronic stress, mental health and aging;
- Define the role of occupational therapy in prevention, wellness and lifestyle issues;
- Apply basic principles for documenting this type of practice and knowledge about reimbursement.
The program will concentrate on the methodology of the Lifestyle Redesign® approach and will include:
- Skills and Tools required for Lifestyle Redesign® treatment:
- Occupational Self-Analysis
- Motivational Interviewing
- Facilitation of problem solving and critical coaching skills
- Accountability Training
- Health and Symptom Management Training
How to make a Lifestyle Redesign® “Module” for both group and individual sessions:
- How to facilitate better client education for lifestyle changes
- How to facilitate better client problem solving for lifestyle changes
- How to set meaningful lifestyle goals
- Case Studies
About the Presenter
Chantelle Rice Collins, OTD, OTR/L, CDCES is the director of the USC Occupational Therapy Faculty Practice, the USC Chan Division’s private clinic, where occupational therapists deliver lifestyle-based interventions to patients with a variety of medical diagnoses and conditions. A Certified Diabetes Educator®, she works predominantly with Lifestyle Redesign® Weight Management and Diabetes Management clients while also managing the practice’s administrative operations. Dr. Rice Collins received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in occupational therapy from USC in 2008, and earned her Doctorate of Occupational Therapy degree from USC in 2009.
|Course||Regular||AOTA members and USC Chan alumni|
|Introduction to Lifestyle Redesign®||$180||$162|
You can register for all 7 Life Management Series courses at once for the discounted price of $792 (20% savings) when you register for this prerequisite course.
General Course Information
This course is designed for OTs, OTAs, and others as an introductory level course; however all levels of experience are welcome as are all areas of practice.
Take the course on your own time
Participants have 7 days to complete a course once receiving access.
Participants must complete a learning outcomes and course evaluation in order to receive a certificate of completion. Participants not fulfilling these requirements will not receive a certificate. Keep a copy of the brochure and certificate for your records.
A link is sent to all registrants to view at their convenience; therefore, no refunds will be granted.
Online courses are presented online using Mediasite technology. To be able to view the course, you’ll need to use a computer that meets certain requirements. You can test whether your computer meets the Mediasite viewing requirements at the Mediasite website.
AOTA Classification codes
Lifestyle Redesign®; Habits; Routines
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
.6 CEUs (6 contact hours)