Lifestyle Redesign® for Chronic Pain and Headache Management
This distance-learning/online course (6 hours) provides you with the tools and knowledge to implement an occupational therapy intervention for the prevention and management of chronic pain and chronic headaches. Detailed intervention materials and case studies to use in conjunction with the Introduction to Lifestyle Redesign® methodology course will be provided.
The Introduction to Lifestyle Redesign® course is a prerequisite to the other courses in the Life Management Series, and must be completed first.
- Identify the most common chronic pain diagnoses and associated pain physiology;
- Define the role of occupation in chronic pain interventions and recognize the impact of chronic pain on daily function;
- Design occupational therapy lifestyle interventions for patients with chronic pain and chronic headaches;
- Explain the following topics and be able to integrate this knowledge into treatment: eating routines, exercise patterns, sleep hygiene, body mechanics, activity pacing and energy conservation, lifestyle balance, stress management, pain communication, leisure and social participation, community integration (school and work), home assessment;
- Design occupational therapy intervention for common psychological co-morbidities;
- Implement treatment activities and strategies from the course in practice;
- Analyze relevant documentation, billing and reimbursement issues when treating these diagnoses.
- Background of common pain diagnoses; Cost and burden of chronic pain; Physiology of pain
- Introduction to Lifestyle Redesign® for Chronic Pain Management; OT evaluation and treatment goals
- Lifestyle Redesign® treatment interventions for Chronic Pain Management; Daily routines to support pain management (healthy eating, exercise, sleep); Body mechanics; Activity pacing, Energy conservation and lifestyle balance; Stress management and pain communication
- OT treatment interventions for pain management; Leisure and social participation; Home assessments; Community/work integration; Creating a pain flare up plan
- Incorporating psychological comorbidities into treatment plans; Recognizing and managing symptoms of depression and anxiety that often accompany chronic pain
- Interdisciplinary team approach for treating chronic pain
- Documentation, billing and reimbursement
- Case Studies
About the Presenters
Ashley Uyeshiro Simon OTD, OTR/L, MSCS practices Lifestyle Redesign® at the USC OT Faculty Practice, and works predominantly with clients in the Pain Management, Chronic Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and Ergonomics Programs. She is a National MS Society Partner in MS Care, and a Multiple Sclerosis Certified Specialist. She also teaches a course on MS, as well as a course on self-care for undergraduate students. Dr. Uyeshiro Simon is the Quality Improvement Coordinator for the Faculty Practice. She is a Faculty in Residence at USC, and has an interest in animal-assisted therapy for mental and physical health.
Lindsey Reeves OTD, OTR/L, CEAS received her Doctorate of Occupational Therapy degree in 2015 from the University of Southern California. Her residency was completed at the USC Occupational Therapy Faculty Practice where she practiced Lifestyle Redesign specializing in the chronic pain, chronic headache and ergonomic programs. Her doctoral work consisted of growing the pain management program and creating a 10-week Lifestyle Redesign Fibromyalgia Treatment and Support Group.
|Course||Regular||AOTA members and USC Chan alumni|
|Lifestyle Redesign® for Chronic Pain and Headache Management||$180||$162|
General Course Information
The Introduction to Lifestyle Redesign® is a prerequisite to the other courses in the Life Management Series, and must be completed first.
This course is designed for OTs, OTAs, and others as an introductory level course; however all levels of experience are welcome as are all areas of practice.
Participants have 7 days to complete a course once receiving access.
Participants must complete a learning outcomes and course evaluation in order to receive a certificate of completion. Participants not fulfilling these requirements will not receive a certificate. Keep a copy of the brochure and certificate for your records.
A link is sent to all registrants to view at their convenience; therefore, no refunds will be granted.
Online courses are presented online using Mediasite technology. To be able to view the course, you’ll need to use a computer that meets certain requirements. You can test whether your computer meets the Mediasite viewing requirements at the Mediasite website.
AOTA Classification codes
Wellness; Pain; Habits
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
.6 CEUs (6 contact hours)