Student Fieldwork Resources
There are several prerequisite requirements that all entry-level USC OT students need to fulfill prior to doing any level of fieldwork. As an entry-level OT student at USC, you are required to complete the following:
- Your Fieldwork Student Profile at Exxat.
- Student Health Clearance to ensure current compliance for required immunizations and health history.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA) certification.
- Complete the University HIPAA Compliance Education module and have documentation of HIPAA competence.
- Access the HIPAA Privacy Education Program.
- Learning Style Inventory. See Index of Learning Styles Questionnaire.
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training — scheduled through the division.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification by the American Heart Association is required while you are in the program. The course students need to take is Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (commonly called “BLS for Healthcare Providers”). The certificate is valid for 2 years. All incoming students will be required to take this class in September of their first year. The cost to attend is currently $50. You will be notified of the time and date through the Division’s email listservs.
You may be required by your fieldwork site to complete additional site-specific requirements. Please do not complete these UNLESS you are informed by the fieldwork team or the site to complete them. Site-specific requirements may include one or all of the following:
- Live Scan Fingerprinting. Fingerprinting can be completed through Live Scan fingerprinting services.
- Background check and/or drug testing. Unless your site specifies a vendor, USC OT recommends CastleBranch.com. Ask your site first if they will accept CastleBranch.com.
- Go to CastleBranch.
- Click on Place Order.
- In the package code box, enter the package code for the tests you are ordering:
- Students needing BOTH Background Check and Drug Test: enter code UA64
- Students needing ONLY Background Check: enter code UA64BC
- Students needing ONLY Drug Test: enter code UA64DT
- Click “Submit.”
- Follow the prompts to complete the order. Once your order is submitted, you will receive a password via email to view your results. The results will be available in approximately 48-72 hours.
- Site-specific application.
- Site-specific orientation.
- Site-specific HIPAA training.
- LA County Fire Safety Training.
- Mask fit testing.
On April 14,2003, a new law, entitled the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) came into effect. This law pertains to protection of health information relating to the health of an individual, the care provided or payment for care. HIPAA includes classroom case-related activities and clinical experiences (including observations, research, fieldwork, residencies, etc.) where you would have access to an individual’s health information.
In accordance with this law, all USC occupational science and occupational therapy students need to complete the University HIPAA Compliance Education module and have documentation of HIPAA competence.
The USC HIPAA Compliance Education module is accessible through TrojanLearn, the University-wide online learning and development platform. Simply go to the USC HIPAA Privacy Education Program:
- Click on Log On to TrojanLearn
- You will be directed to the Shibboleth log-in page
- Enter your USC NetID and Password
- You should arrive at the TrojanLearn Homepage
- Click on Office of Compliance under USC Training.
- Locate and register for the HIPAA Privacy Education Program and follow the instructions to complete all 10 chapters. At the end of each chapter there will be a quiz. Once you pass the quiz, proceed to the next chapter.
- When you’ve completed all modules and passed all quizzes, save an electronic version of your Certificate of Completion.
- Upload your Certificate of Completion to your Fieldwork Student Profile at Exxat.
Keep one copy for future use.
- This certificate is often needed for site visits in other classes during both years of your program.
- Your fieldwork site may ask you to show proof of competency as well.
To digitally fill a PDF form, download the file and save to a destination on your local computer PRIOR to filling the form fields. To electronically sign, click “SIGN” within the Adobe Reader toolbar, then click “Place Signature” on the right-hand toolbar and follow the instructions. Please ensure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader and please view the PDF using Adobe Reader rather than using a web browser.
Level I Fieldwork
Level II Fieldwork
- Out-of-State/Area Student Requests
- Student’s Responsibilities During (Level II) Fieldwork
- Level II Fieldwork Supervision Guidelines
- Level II Fieldwork Four-Week Evaluation
- Student Evaluation of the Fieldwork Experience (Level II)