Information For International Students
It is a pleasure to greet you as you explore educational opportunities for international students at the USC Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy. Our students and alumni hail from 63 countries on 6 continents.
Video created, filmed, and edited by USC Chan international students
If you are currently a certified occupational therapist or if you have already completed a Bachelor’s degree in occupational therapy, we encourage you to consider applying to one of our post-professional academic programs in occupational therapy:
If you are not currently a certified occupational therapist or if you completed a Bachelor’s degree in a different area of study, we encourage you to consider applying to one of our entry-level academic programs in occupational therapy:
We encourage both occupational therapists and non-occupational therapists to consider our fully-funded degree program in occupational science, a discipline founded at USC:
If you are an international student from a non-English speaking country, you will need to demonstrate English Proficiency to study in one of the USC Chan degree programs.
USC has an International Academy to help international students prepare to study in the United States. This includes English preparation as well as courses to prepare you to take the GRE. The cost for taking the GRE is included in the Pre-Master’s Program (you can take it once each semester).
Students who graduate from the USC International Academy’s Pre-Master’s Program are guaranteed admission to the USC Chan Post-Professional Master’s Program.
Global Initiatives for International Students
USC Chan Global Initiatives has a multitude of resources for international students to help them adapt to life in the United States and the American pedagogical approach, including:
- Academic peer mentors for one-on-one tutoring
- USC Chan Global Corner lunchtime conversations
- International student focus groups
- International student mentorship program
USC Office of International Services
The University of Southern California has an Office of International Services (OIS) to assist with VISAs, Passport Verification (PPV), Living in Los Angeles, and more. The Living in LA page of their website includes information on housing, transportation, safety, and finances.
Online and International Continuing Education Programs
USC Chan offers our Sensory Integration Continuing Education (CE) Certificate Program and Life Management Series continuing education programs online. The Sensory Integration CE Certificate Program has also been offered internationally in more than 15 different countries across 4 continents. Participants in both online programs have come from more than 30 different countries.
- Certification of Studies for USC from the International Education Research Foundation.
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) I-20 Request - post-completion OPT is a type of work authorization for F-1 students completing a baccalaureate or graduate degree in the US.
- H-1B Visa information from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Information regarding the exam for National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy for students intending to practice in the United States. Be sure to scroll down, click on International Students and read about the Occupational Therapist Eligibility Determination (OTED®) process.