What is the REAL-T Diabetes Study?
- We aim to help young adults with type 1 diabetes manage their health and everyday challenges.
- You will receive compensation for participation.
View / Download our Brochure
Who can sign up?
You may be able to join the study if you:
- Are 18-30 years old
- Live in California or Oregon
- Have had Type 1* Diabetes for at least one year
- Have an A1C of 7.5% or higher*
- Are willing to participate in a 6-month Occupational Therapy program
- Are willing to complete data collection via Zoom calls and mail or in person
- Are not pregnant or have no plans to become pregnant
- Have access to a laptop or desktop computer**
We accept participants with other co-existing health conditions.
*If you are not sure about this information, we can check it with you.
**A loaned laptop from the study may be available.
Interested in participating?
Fill out this form and we will contact you!
Frequently Asked Questions
We are flexible and can meet you on evenings or weekends. Most people find a time that works for them. If it doesn’t work, you can leave the study at any time. You also have the option of receiving study materials in the mail and doing appointments remotely through video calls.
Everyone in the study will have a data collection session once every 3 months. Half of the people in the study will be randomized into occupational therapy. They will meet with an occupational therapist (OT) over 6 months using telehealth. They will connect and talk through their challenges and/or goals related to their diabetes care.
No, the people assigned to meet with an OT will be chosen at random by a computer program. You have a 50% chance to receive or not receive the therapy.
Being in the study will not affect your current medical care in any way. We will only share information with your diabetes care providers with your permission.
No, everything will happen on your schedule, whenever and wherever works for you.
Occupational Therapy is the therapeutic use of everyday activities to enhance or enable participation and improve overall quality of life. In REAL-T, your OT will work with you through video calls to help you find ways to better manage your diabetes and work on goals that you want to work on.
Text: (213) 534-7325
Study ID: IRB #HS-18-00633
USC Office for the Protection of Research Subjects