Faculty/Staff Resources Student Resources
University of Southern California
University of Southern California
USC Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
USC Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
Twitter Facebook Instagram LinkedIn YouTube

Frequently Asked Questions

1. General Questions

1.1. How do I become a licensed occupational therapist in the United States? show >

1.2. What is the difference between the Bachelor’s-to-Master’s, Post-Professional Master’s, and Entry-Level Master’s programs, and how do I know which program to apply for? show >

1.3. What is the difference between the OTD and PhD degrees? show >

1.4. What is the difference between the Research Track in the OTD and the PhD program? show >

1.5. Is there a limit to how many times I can take the GRE? show >

1.6. Where can I find the tuition and fees for attending USC? show >

1.7. Are scholarships and financial aid available? show >

1.8. Is it recommended that students work during the program? show >

1.9. How can I find the semester schedule? show >

1.10. How can I purchase a parking pass? show >

1.11. Do students receive free membership to the on-campus gym? show >

1.12. How can I purchase USC Football Tickets? show >

1.13. Does USC have a student newspaper? show >

1.14. How can I find the contact information for a faculty or staff person at USC? show >

1.15. Is there on-campus housing for graduate students? show >

1.16. Is there public transportation in Los Angeles? show >

2. Bachelor’s to Master’s Degree Program

2.1. Can I apply to this program as a freshman? show >

2.2. Can I apply to the bachelor program as a transfer student? show >

3. Entry-Level Master’s Degree Program

3.1. Does USC offer a part-time entry-level master’s degree program in occupational therapy? show >

3.2. Is there a minimum score required for the GRE? show >

3.3. What type of degree will I be working toward if I am admitted to the program? show >

3.4. Is volunteer experience required? show >

3.5. Can pre-requisite courses be in progress while applying to the program? show >

3.6. When will I be notified regarding whether or not I have been selected to complete a Phase II video for my application? show >

3.7. When does the program start? show >

3.8. What is the difference between electives and core courses? show >

3.9. How much hands-on experience is available to me while I am in the program? show >

3.10. How are fieldwork placement sites chosen? show >

3.11. How many hours of fieldwork are required? show >

4. Doctorate of Occupational Therapy (OTD) Program

4.1. Do I need to have a master’s degree in OT in order to apply to the OTD program at USC? show >

4.2. Are international opportunities available? show >

4.3. Will I get paid for my residency? show >

4.4. How much time will I be spending at my residency? show >

4.5. Is it ok if my residency site hires me for over 20 hours per week? show >

4.6. Am I allowed to work outside of my residency site? show >

4.7. Does my residency site preceptor need to be an occupational therapist? show >

4.8. Does my residency site preceptor need to have a doctorate degree? show >

4.9. How do I select my USC faculty mentor? show >

4.10. Does my USC faculty mentor need to have experience related to the work that is being done within the context of my residency? show >

4.11. Are any OTD courses offered online? show >

4.12. May I complete the OTD program on a part-time basis? show >

4.13. Does the division offer scholarship support? show >

5. Doctor of Philosophy in Occupational Science (PhD) Program

5.1. What is the minimum requirement for the GRE? show >

5.2. What are the current research studies in which the USC Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy is involved? show >

6. International Students

6.1. What resources does USC Chan provide to support international students? show >

6.2. Do I need to take the TOEFL? show >

6.3. What do I need to do after I get admitted to USC? show >

6.4. How is the teaching style at USC different from international schools? show >

6.5. What is the H1B Visa and which companies will sponsor it? show >

7. COVID-19 Questions

7.1. How do I receive updates related to COVID-19? show >

7.2. Are classes going to be in-person? show >

7.3. What does fieldwork look like during this time? show >

7.4. What platform is USC Chan using for remote instruction? show >