gamechanger is a new team-based challenge for all USC Chan community members and colleagues to put their knowledge mobilization (KMb) skills to work! For eight weeks from May to July 2023, teams will design new ways of moving academic knowledge into the real world by creating products that address practical challenges, raise public awareness and make tangible, sustainable impacts to end users’ everyday lives and occupations. At the July 31 closing ceremony, teams will present their work to a panel of judges, with three winning teams receiving prize money to continue implementing their game-changing products.
Download the gamechanger flyer.
- The May 19 launch event included a keynote presentation by KMb specialists, KMb workshops and pitches from teams about their potential KMb product.
- Following the launch is a two-month incubator period when teams hone their KMb skills and develop a product. Included during the incubator are virtual workshops and up to two hours of virtual consultations from experts. Teams will submit a required Letter of Intent, spend 20 hours working together and finalize a KMb product.
- The incubator period ends in mid-July when teams will submit their final KMb product for judging by a panel of interdisciplinary experts.
- Finally, the July 31 closing ceremony will showcase teams’ newly created KMb products that creatively and accessibly communicate knowledge to a wider audience. The winning KMb products will be announced at the closing ceremony, and winners will receive funding to continue mobilizing their product.
Forms and Documents
- gamechanger overview
General overview of the gamechanger challenge, including the required Letter of Intent
- Letter of Intent submission form
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I have to know anything about knowledge mobilization (KMb) in order to participate?
A: No! All are welcome to join gamechanger regardless of prior experience with KMb! And you can also attend the launch event to learn more about KMb without committing to join a team!
Q: If I’m attending the launch event with the hope of joining a team, how will I connect with people and/or other existing teams?
A: During our launch event, existing teams will pitch their projects and indicate whether or not they are searching for additional team members. Following the pitches, a networking session lets you mingle with others and join an existing team, or you can even create a new team on the spot! Come ready with possible topics or projects you’re interested in exploring!
Q: If I have a team in mind but we don’t have a product to develop yet, can we still join gamechanger?
A: Absolutely! All are welcome to attend, even if you are unsure about your final product creations. For 8 weeks this summer, teams will work together to decide on this!
Q: What will I take away from the gamechanger launch event?
A: You will learn more about KMb including tools and strategies to share knowledge effectively. And if you do participate in the full 8-week gamechanger, teams can win prizes at the closing ceremony. Plus, enjoy complimentary appetizers, desserts, beverages, and a gamechanger gift at the launch event!
Launch Event — Friday, May 19, 2023
Hyatt House LA — University Medical Center
Date: Friday, May 19, 2023
Time: 2:00 – 5:00pm
Grace Baranek PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
Associate Dean and Chair, Mrs. T.H. Chan Professor of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
Lourdes Baezconde-Garbanati PhD
Professor of Preventive Medicine, Associate Dean for Community Initiatives, Associate Director for Community Outreach and Engagement, USC Keck School of Medicine
Sheila Murphy PhD
Professor of Communication, USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism
Workshop #1: An Overview — What is KMb?
Knowledge Mobilization Strategy Implementation Team Leads
Workshop #2: Understand Your Target Audience & KMb Toolkit
Team Project Pitches and Networking
Closing Ceremony — Monday, July 31, 2023
Welcome Remarks & Introduction to Panel of Judges
Team Product Presentations