Research Participant Opportunities
Research projects and labs in the Chan division are currently looking for research study participants. Check out the summaries below to see if you’re interested and meet the criteria, then follow the links for more information and to find out how to contact the researchers.
Resilient, Empowered, Active Living with Diabetes (REAL)
We are testing a program for young adults with diabetes, to learn about ways to help young adults manage diabetes, and deal with everyday hassles related to having diabetes.
- Are 18-30 years old.
- Have had diabetes (type 1 or type 2) for at least a year.
- Have an A1C of 8% or higher (if you don’t know, we can test your A1C).
- Are willing to be visited at your home, school, or workplace.
- Live in Los Angeles County.
- Meet certain income limits, or qualify for CCS, Medi-Cal, or ORSA.
Motor Interpersonal Neuroimaging Developmental Study (MINDS)
The goal of this USC study is to look at brain functioning and how it relates to coordination and social skills in developing children. We hope to better understand children’s social and motor abilities using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). Using this safe brain imaging technique, we can take pictures of children’s brains while they observe, think about, and do different motor tasks.
- Your child is typically developing OR has a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder OR has motor coordination difficulties.
- You and your child are English-speaking.
- Your child is 8-17 years old.
- Your child is right-handed.
Sensory Adapted Dental Environments to Enhance Oral Care for Children (SADE-2)
Children with ASD often experience oral care challenges during dental care. This may be related to behavioral, communication, and sensory difficulties.
We have developed a sensory adapted dental environment (SADE) to create a less stressful experience at the dentist and improve oral care for children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The sensory adapted room includes, special lights, music, and a special butterfly vest designed to help children relax during dental cleanings.
- Your child has a diagnosis of ASD.
- Your child is between 6 and 12 years old.
- You speak English or Spanish.
Other Research Labs
Other Chan division research labs aren’t actively looking for specific participants, but are glad to hear from you if you have an interest in their work.