Lifestyle Redesign® for Pain Management
Chronic pain can be challenging to manage because of its multiple impacts on physical, cognitive and emotional health. In addition to pain, many of our clients may also experience anxiety, depression and social isolation. Together, these challenges have a significant impact on the ability to participate in roles and responsibilities within families, in the work environment, at school or in the community.
Due to the invisible nature of the pain, people living with chronic pain can also feel unheard or misunderstood as they try to navigate health and treatment options. Clinical guidelines for treating chronic pain include the use of both pharmacological and non-pharmacological approaches.
Occupational therapists use a comprehensive approach to evaluate the impact that chronic pain is having on your everyday activities, and train you in evidence-based pain coping and self-management strategies that aim to decrease pain, increase function, and improve quality of life. Using a biopsychosocial approach, our OTs address the lifestyle areas that influence your chronic pain, and explore adaptive and compensatory strategies that you can use to minimize the impact of your condition.
We can help you to:
- Understand chronic pain to identify your triggers and implement coping strategies
- Improve sleep, eating and exercise routines to promote nervous system regulation
- Learn activity pacing and energy management strategies
- Modify your environment to improve posture and positioning
- Provide training in ergonomics, body mechanics and adaptive equipment
- Learn self-regulation strategies to better management stress
- Increase community engagement and participation in social activities
- Improve communication and self-advocacy with your family, friends and healthcare providers
- Establish a plan for managing pain flare-ups
“I’ve been able to come up with creative ways to change how I do things and decrease my pain.”
— Participant, Lifestyle Redesign for Pain Management
View/download the Lifestyle Redesign for Pain Management brochure.
Get more information/contact us
To make an appointment, or for more information, contact us today!