Lifestyle Redesign® for Chronic Headaches
Headache disorders, including migraines, are invisible neurologic diseases that can significantly affect function at home, school or work, and they are associated with high rates of stress, anxiety, and depression. For a person living with a headache disorder, it can also be difficult to communicate the pain and suffering. Since headache disorders can be triggered by lifestyle and environmental factors, the American Headache Society and clinical treatment guidelines recommend developing healthy lifestyle behaviors and modifying risk factors.
USC Lifestyle Redesign occupational therapists will guide you through behavioral, non-pharmacological treatment options for headache disorders, including adhering to a consistent daily schedule, improving sleep routines, and reducing stress. The goals of our program focus on learning self-management skills to reduce the frequency and duration of your attacks, increase your sense of empowerment, and improve your quality of life. Our OTs work alongside neurology headache specialists to facilitate the long-term, sustainable lifestyle changes that can improve your headache disorder.
We can help you to:
- Track your symptoms and identify your triggers
- Learn medication management and self-management coping strategies
- Use time management strategies to establish daily, regulating routines, including eating, exercise and sleep
- Manage stress, anxiety, and depression through healthy coping strategies and self-regulation techniques
- Implement strategies to pace your daily activities and conserve your energy
- Understand ergonomic and body mechanic principles and customize them for your own home and workplace
- Modify your environment and utilize adaptive equipment to reduce triggers
- Practice assertive communication and self-advocacy skills in home, workplace or school, and healthcare contexts
- Increase participation in your social, leisure, and community activities
This program is more than I thought it could ever be; it opened my eyes to how the ways I live my life affect my headaches.
I didn’t realize that they were other people going through the same pain. It helped me to learn from others by relating to their stories.
— Participant, Lifestyle Redesign for Chronic Headaches
View/download the Lifestyle Redesign for Chronic Headaches brochure.
Get more information/contact us
To make an appointment, or for more information, contact us today!