Lifestyle Redesign® for Autism Spectrum Disorder
While many services exist for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), adolescents and adults with ASD experience new and complex challenges as they navigate independent living, higher education, and/or employment. In addition to these evolving demands, lifestyle risk factors increase significantly with age, and adults with ASD are at higher risk for developing preventable chronic health disorders than the general population.
Our occupational therapists use the Lifestyle Redesign approach to assist you in implementing changes to your habits and routines in order to better manage your health and meet personal goals. Together, you and your OT will identify and explore session topics based upon your unique needs, goals, and interests. Based on your strengths and particular challenges, your OT will help you build a plan to learn skills, improve self-efficacy, and follow through with your own goals.
We can help you to:
- Understand and cope with a new diagnosis, make decisions about its disclosure to others, and build skills for self-advocacy
- Improve your social and communication skills to develop relationships with others
- Recognize when you are experiencing stress and use effective strategies for managing it
- Develop a consistent nighttime schedule and implement strategies for improving the quality of your sleep
- Expand healthy food choices and incorporate them into your own cooking and meal routines
- Identify your physical activity preferences and follow-through with participating in them
- Learn how your own sensory system may affect your moods and behaviors, and incorporate strategies for regulating them in different contexts
- Improve your independence and efficiency with organization, attention, and time management
- Create transition plans for different environments, experiences, and life phases
- Increase confidence and satisfaction with activities in the community
- Incorporate meaningful leisure activities into your daily and weekly routines
- Set personal goals and receive motivational support as you work toward achieving them
- Payment options include insurance coverage and self-pay rates.
- The USC Occupational Therapy Faculty Practice is not a vendor of the Regional Center.
View/download the Lifestyle Redesign for Autism Spectrum Disorder brochure.
Get more information/contact us
To make an appointment, check your insurance benefits, or for more information, contact us today!